Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
Ramadan is the ninth month of Arab and Islamic calendar. Fasting is prescribed for this month according to the following verse of the Holy Qur'an:
"The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. Allah desires for you ease; He desires not hardship for you; and (He desires) that ye should complete the period, and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that peradventure ye may be thankful."
Holy Qur'an (Picktall's translation) 2:185
During this holy month, Muslims fast in various ways. These may be physical, spiritual as well as intellectual. The recitation of the Holy Qur'an is an important activity. However, for those who have limitations in understanding Arabic, there are many translations of the Holy Qur'an in different languages. During the spread of Islam, there were also other means of propagating the concepts from the Holy Qur'an. One of these is the Holy Ginans of the Shia Imami Ismaili Nizari Muslims.
Contents of Ginans
The ginans were written in verse form and recorded in several Indian languages and constitute a markedly Nizari (after Imam Nizar) and mystical (esoteric) vision of Islam. The ginans are meant to be sung and recited with a melody. In some cases, the ginan manuscripts specify the melodies or ragas according to which the ginans should be sung.
Ginans contain moral and religious instructions, mystical poems and legendary histories of the pirs. These ginans constitute an important source of literature for Ismailis in India, Pakistan and East Africa. As the Ismailis from these countries have now settled in Europe, Canada and the USA, the ginan tradition is still alive in the Ismaili communities residing in these countries.
The 30-day Period
The motivation for this 30-day project is to increase the intensity of prayers during the month of Ramadan. For this purpose, 30 Holy Ginans have been selected for recitation and reflection. The transliterations and literal translations of these ginans are provided on this website. It is our sincere intention that the readers will take time to reflect upon these Holy Ginans and use these teachings to elevate their souls and enrich them with Light (Noor).
Objectives of this Project
- To learn the tawil of the Holy Quran which is given to us through the Holy Ginans;
- Practice our faith with greater intensity and conviction during this month;
- Supplicate to the Lord by reciting beautiful venti ginans of Holy Pirs;
- Practise sincere repentance and seek forgiveness for our sins; and
- Prepare for the bountiful Night of Power (Laitul-Qadr).
- Ginan No. 01: Aash tamaari shri ho Kaayam Sami
- Ginan No. 02: Sami raajo more manthi na visre ji
- Ginan No. 03: Hetesu(n) milo maara munivaro
- Ginan No. 04: Ek shabad suño mere bhai
- Ginan No. 05: Aash puni ham Shah dar paya
- Ginan No. 06: Sab ghat Sami maaro bharpur betha
- Ginan No. 07: Aapñu(n) aap pichhaaño re momano
- Ginan No. 08: Kesri si(n)h svaroop bhulaayo
- Ginan No. 09: Ab teri mahobat laagi mere Saheb
- Ginan No. 10: Hardam karo abhiyaas
- Ginan No. 11: Aavine besone gothadi kariye
- Ginan No. 12: Hak Tu(n) Paak Tu(n)
- Ginan No. 13: Moti Venti - Verses 01-05
- Ginan No. 14: Moti Venti - Verses 06-10
- Ginan No. 15: Moti Venti - Verses 11-15
- Ginan No. 16: Moti Venti - Verses 16-20
- Ginan No. 17: Moti Venti - Verses 21-25
- Ginan No. 18: Moti Venti - Verses 26-30
- Ginan No. 19: Moti Venti - Verses 31-35
- Ginan No. 20: Moti Venti - Verses 36-40
- Ginan No. 20: Moti Venti - Verses 41-45
- Ginan No. 22: Moti Venti - Verses 46-50
- Ginan No. 23: Hu(n) re piyaasi piya tere darshanki
- Ginan No. 24: Sahebji tu more man bhave
- Ginan No. 25: Ame Saheb saathe sahel kidha
- Ginan No. 26: Kaachi chhe kaaya man haido chhe parmal
- Ginan No. 27: Venati karu(n) chhu(n) Saheb mora
- Ginan No. 28: Tame japjo din raat ke
- Ginan No. 29: Nur vela nur piyo
- Ginan No. 30: Tamku(n) sadhaare so din bahotaj huva re piya
May our beloved Imam NOOR Mowlana Shah Karim Al-Hussaini (a.s.) grant you, your family, your Jamat and the worldwide Jamat luminous (noorani) and spiritual (ruhani) tayid (help) to advance materially, spiritually and intellectually, and may He grant you the inner vision of the Truth. Ameen.
Haizinda — Qayampaya
(Our Present Imam is Living and His NOOR is Eternal)
Rakh Mowla je Noor te Yaqeen (Certainly, we trust in Mowla's Light only),
First Night of Ramadan Mubarak
May 26, 2017